Silver amalgram has been used near exclusively to fill and seal cavities. However, recent research has brought such practices into qustion as the procedure requires a large portion of the natural tooth to be removed and that such metals are comprised of potentially-hazardous mercury.
Today, most dentists try and avoid silver filings and instead opt for alternative fillings made of composite or porcelain. In addition to matching the natural look of teeth, these alterative filling materials are stronger and safer for your overall health.
Other benefits of composite and porcelain fillings include:
- Ability to last a lifetime with the proper care
- Easy bonding characteristics
- Stronger surface capable of withstanding wear and tear
- Ability to be colored and re-shaded
- Treatment that can be done in one simple dental visit
- Natural look that blends seamlessly with your smile